James had his second field trip today. The Kinders went to the planetarium. A few weeks back, the teachers sent out an email asking if any parents were interested in being chaperones. Obviously space fills quickly here and when I read the email I forwarded it to Doug at work and said, "It would be awesome if you could do this." James is pretty bummed that I can't come in to volunteer for projects or go on the field trips with them. I was crossing my fingers Doug could swing it.
The issue is that Doug had no more days off so he couldn't swing it. Also, end of the year etc etc.
But then, I had an idea. What if ... he could meet the kids there. And surprise James. I asked his teacher. She said yes, actually other parents who work in the city have done that in the past. I called Doug and ran it by him and he said he could do that. Oh my gosh. James is going to flip out!!!!
So the day arrives. Monday morning comes and James is so excited about going to the planetarium. Like, so excited. This child is all about space. James has loved space since forever. Doug and I and his teachers all were in on Doug being there. I think all of us were so giddy to give this gift to James.
Talk about excited. James could hardly wait to get to school and get on the bus and get down there.
I talked to Doug after he got back to work and he said James was so excited to see him. He was totally surprised - like at first he couldn't figure out what Doug was doing there. Doug said he was so happy and then began telling me all the fun things they did and all the funny stories about the kids. Among other things, he had to accompany all the boys into the restroom before they left to go back to school and he said he turned around for two seconds and one kid had like a mountain of soap on his hands from the automatic dispenser.
When Cills and I picked James up from school, all he could talk about was the planetarium and how much fun he had and that DADDY WAS THERE!!!! He was the only Daddy that came. That Daddy knew so much. That Daddy made sure all the boys were safe in the bathroom and had to yell, "Everyone is out" to the teachers. Oh my gosh was Daddy the Super Hero of the day. Dinner time was monopolized by Planetarium fieldtrip stories and it was the best to listen to these guys share their stories.
Sometimes everything just works out :)
No comments:
Post a Comment